On January 22nd, I visited the Wilbert Harris/Belmont Heights Boys and Girls Club to show my support and get the inside scoop on Tech Girls Rock, a workshop presented by CA Technologies. This initiative “helps girls discover and cultivate an interest in information technology (IT), and ultimately tech-related educational opportunities and careers”. 89 girls, ages 10 to 16, participated in the all day event, including morning energizers, a panelist of women leaders in technology fields, educational activities, games, and prizes. The girls gained a new perspective on computers and seemed to have lots of fun!
In the afternoon, the young ladies were broken up into three groups and went through an activity rotation. Here are some pictures!
CPU Strut: The teams learned how to put together the inside of a CPU. Then they participated in a relay race requiring them to strut across the gymnasium, position a missing part, and strut back to their teammates. Each girl walked the runway until the CPU was completed.
Jorge Vera (Technology Director at Boys and Girls Club of Tampa Bay) demonstrates how to piece together the inside of a CPU.
Thanks to CA Technology and their volunteers for encouraging these young ladies!
Strutting with personality!
The girls answered summary questions about what they learned and received a raffle ticket for the chance at a prize.
Are you smarter than a 5th grader? Technology Edition: The group was spilt into 4 teams of 7-8 girls, and they competed for raffle tickets.
These girls won the trivia game! They proved that they were smarter than 5th graders!
Want to know how you would score?
Here are the questions (Answers included at the bottom of this post):
1. Name a device other than a computer you can use to surf the Internet
2. What does the symbol HD on a tv stand for?
3. What are 3 different social media websites to post pictures on?
4. Steve Forbes founded Microsoft. True or False
5. Name the two most popular search engines.
6. How many different kinds of major apple products are currently for sale?
7. What device guides you step by step on a trip to another city?
8. The CPU controls all of the computers functions it acts as the brain of the computer what does it stand for?
9. What are the two main ways to communicate on a cell phone?
10. CTRL & ALT are displayed how many times on the keyboard?
11. What technology device was named the best invention of the century by Time magazine? (Million dollar question)
Team Cheer: Each group came up with a unique cheer and performed it at the end of the day.
Check out these links for more news!
- Gaming system, smart tv, e-reader
- High Definition
- Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Google and Yahoo
- iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac
- A GPS
- Central processing unit
- Calling and texting